The Federal Statistical Office publishes data on cross-border commuters in Switzerland07 March 2019
According to the new figures of the Federal Statistical Office, about 314,000 cross-border workers commuted to Switzerland at the end of 2018.
This represents about 2000 fewer cross-border commuters compared to the previous year, a percentage difference of about -0.6%. This is the first decline in the number of cross-border workers in 20 years, which has increased by about 10% in the last 5 years.
This is what the cross-border commuter population looks like:
Where do the cross-border commuters come from?
55% of cross-border workers come from France, less than a quarter come from Italy and about 20% from Germany. Over 2% come from Austria. Less than 1% comes from other countries.
Women or men?
There are also differences in gender figures, where 65% of cross-border workers are men and only one third are women.
In which sectors of the economy are cross-border workers active?
- Almost 70% work in the service sector (tertiary sector)
- More than 32% work in industrial production (secondary sector)
- Only 0.6% work in the primary sector (agriculture and forestry production)
In which regions are the cross-border workers working?
- Nearly 80% of cross border workers work in three regions:
- Nearly 40% operate in the Lake Geneva Region
- Over 20% work in northern Switzerland
- 20% work in Ticino
- Only 8.5% work in the Espace Mittelland, but the number of cross-border commuters increased by 6.4% compared to the previous year, which means that this region is becoming more popular among working commuters.
If you are a cross border worker looking for the best exchange rates for Euro and Swiss Francs use our currency calculator and see how much you can save. We offer the best euro franc exchange rate in Switzerland. Changing money through our online exchange office is as easy as shopping online. No matter if you want to change francs to euros or sell euros - just register online. The next day you will receive an activation code by post and you can change money at the best rate in Euro Francs.